Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Aileen in Zambia

I got lucky today. I managed to hitch a ride into Lusaka. My mission was to do a little networking and set up a few interviews for a documentary series that will be broadcast on Inishowen Community Radio as part of this project. However, my 'lift' was with a parent who had to do a school run first. Climbing in, I sandwiched myself between the kids, school bags and lunch boxes and listened to the children chattering away to each other. They looked smart in their navy shorts and baby blue shirts. Dark blue hats shielded their eyes and most of their faces but I couldn't help but notice they were excited and eager to get to school. When we arrived I had the pleasure of meeting the Principal and Chairperson of the Martin House Trust School.


The school is built on land donated by the farming community in Chisamba area.  It was set up to meet the education needs of children in the surrounding areas. The alternative was to send the children to weekly boarding school many miles away. The school employ eight staff including teachers and custodial staff.



Pictured above, from left, are some children who attend Martin House Trust School, the Chairperson, Classroom assistant and the Principal. The school has created employment for local people and is giving them an opportunity to work within their own community.

Incidentally, the classroom assistant is a local lady who was a cleaner at the school and is now training to be a classroom assistant. When I took this photograph I explained to the classroom assistant that I would put it up on my blog . She smiled politely, nodded and walked back into the classroom.

It wasn't until I was walking back to my 'lift' that the Principal pointed out to me that the class room assistant was an excellent asset to the school but had never seen colour TV never mind a computer in her life and therefore would have no understanding of the terminology, such as Internet or 'blog.' As I continued on my journey to Lusaka I was feeling a little annoyed with myself for presuming that the young lady understood what a 'blog' was. The more I thought about it, I only hoped she had no understanding of the word 'bog', like we do in Donegal, just in case I insulted her as well! It certainly was not my intention.

However, it won't be long before the class assistant and the whole school will be familiar with such terminology as it is my understanding they are getting a brand new computer for their school in the next few weeks.

As for me, I spent the rest of my day in Lusaka networking and arranging meetings with a number of people I wish to talk to about food security and related issues in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment